I imagine most on here hunt upland with their classic American, English or European doubles, but I was wondering how many of you are avid duck hunters like me. For years I hunted upland and ducks with a 1907 DS grade Lefever. My gunsmith said it was a hell for stout gun so I shot 1 1/4 oz high base bismuth game loads out of it without thinking about it.

Problem was I was an inconsistent shot with it compared to my over-under. It turns out, after having the gun checked by a stock maker and pattering the gun, I shot way left with it. I went to the trouble and expense of having the stock bent, but when it still shot left after its return I sold it and moved on.

This year I decided to get back into old classic dude by sides. Before the season I found a nice field grade 12 ga. L.C. Smith feather weight with 28 barrels that weighs 6.6 pounds. I hit well with it, but its a little light for waterfowl, perfect pheasant gun though. So now Im looking at a nice Fox AE, 30 full and full, reasonable stock dimensions 7#_6oz. Im thinking that would be a nice waterfowl gun. It would get hunted 20-30 times a year. I plan on using 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz RST bismuth out of it. What do you think? Is that pushing it too hard?

My hunting buddy has used a Suhl side by side from the 30s that is probably a stronger gun, but he shoots regukar 2-2/3 steel shot out of it no problem. The seller of the Fox thought the stock would be the weak link in this equation, he thinks the action and barrels are no problem.

And Merry Christmas everybody.