Safety is a habit which doesn't include painting folks with muzzles in any situation with any gun. My wife and I spectated the sporting final at Vintagers/Millbrook walking the course with one or two squads of shooters who were also walking. We left the station and were at the next before the shooters had collected their scorecards and gear and moved on. So we're standing there when up walks our familiar crew and this old boy who's dressed like he owns most of what Trump used to has his doublegun closed and crooked over his left elbow. He stops even with me on line and I guess he is semi-conscientious at least about the habit of safety because when I turn slowly and give him the questioning look, he turns away and drops the barrels without removing the gun from the crook of his arm. I managed to walk two of the preliminary events with my gun broken all the time except when over the rail and pointed thru the window or sitting in a rack. When I pick it up, the barrels stay skyward while I break it. As for shells dropped on the ground, they'll still be there after the shots are taken and the chambers cleared. Even a habitual safety protocol is not failsafe; all the more reason to have one because it reduces the possibility of sad old situations!

jack