Originally Posted By: gunman
When working a stock up from a blank it is not unknown for all the pretty grain to end up on the floor so the finished job does not meet up to expectations . On the other hand some time the finished stock exceeds expectation and you wished you could have charged more for the blank .
Its always a bit of a gambol no matter how hard you try when selecting a blank . Fortunately most work out OK .

I agree 100%. I have had all sorts of unexpected things happen when turning a blank, including bark pockets and voids in dead straight section of wood.

I think it is the same blank and just as Tut has said, likely laid out exactly opposite of how most Guild members would do it. Most of us were taught the same methodology of stock making and grain lay out at TSJC. Looks Claro or American Black to me but hard to say for sure from just a picture.

Yeah who does not love perfectly 1/4 sawn wood? I know I do but slab sawn is fine and you can get a damn fine blank out of rift sawn as well if you know how to find it inside the blank.

I for one am glad Bob shares his projects and it is great to see that Angelo Bee is still making chips!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns