FWIWIP-- I think the existence of the M21 in the WRA product line, from 1931 to about 1960, anyway- owes that existence to the John Olin money that bought WRA in the early years of the Great Depression- WRA originally marketed the M21 in an effort to "be ahead" of the move towards conservation of a dwindling waterfowl resource- in 1935 when FDR moved us into Federal duck stamps and a 3 shot plug in our M1897's and M12's--You might maybe surmise the same thought behind John M. Browning's Superposed, perhaps he foresaw his A-5 auto-loader as being restricted, and UMC making its Remmie-ton copy in the M11 autoloader, with a 3 shot capacity.

By the 1930's, WRA had taken the Green Weinie on the M12's and M54's with stainless barrels- so they worked with US Steel again, only this time to "improve" their Nickel barrel steel- and in 1931 Winchester Proof Steel was their choice- a Nickel-Chrome-Moly that was heat-treatable, as compared to the other US double gun makers with the 1018-1020 AISI steels that were case-hardened, and required "double fitting" by the assemblers at Parker, A.H. Fox, etc.

My late Dad bought the used field grade 12 bore M21 in 1948 for several reasons: (1) He had 2 Model 12's- a 20 gauge made in 1931, and a 12 gauge Tournament Grade made in 1936--
Both have solid ribs (an extra) the 20 is 28" Mod, the 12 is 30" full- plus he had a SG M70 30-06 which he bought new in 1939-- I have these Winchesters, plus his M21- If he hadn't have bought, and used them, I most likely would not have inherited them. Thanks, Dad!!

When he bought the M21, the gun shop had several 12 gauge Parker and Fox doubles for sale, in the same price range- Trojan and VH, and a Sterly or two-all with double triggers. Why did he pick the used 21? Because his other Winchester shotguns had one trigger, not two- made sense to me then, still does today.

My 21 shows "wear with care"- but is it worth what some dealers are trying to get for one of that Vintage are asking- as for the
later Custom engraved and flat sided receiver series, some made by CSM-- I'll pass and keep my $ "sub rosa"-- Not my cupa tea- much like the late Ernest Hemingway- who once wisely said: "A gun is to shoot"-- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 12/09/19 05:24 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..