The large cocking hook on the Lefever was in no way implied to mean it had anything at all to do with the ability to tighten the action. It was mentioned in regard to the statement by Fox which strongly implied the gun with the fewest parts was always the simplest & best. The large hook serves three purposes, it cocks the hammers, serves as the check hook & cams the extractors. The earlier models with a separate extractor cam were far smoother & more efficient.

I have an H grade Lefever with a large hook. I ran across it some rs back as a parts gun for $25.00, so bought it. It has a busted stock, sort of held together by electrical tape, a crack in the left barrel 14 inches ahead of the breech & the bores resemble a sewer pipe they are so pitted. The top lever is well left of center. Amazingly, though the ball joint screw can be totally removed & the barrels placed on the action & closed & it is tight & on the face by the action of that square-shouldered Doll's Head alone.

The rotary bolt guns have the reputation of once they become a bit worn of being the worst of any double ever made anywhere in the world of any design of "Blowing Open" upon firing. They are an absolute nightmare to properly fit up & most were not, even from the factory. For the most part, they only hold the barrels shut & do not provide the secondary purpose of providing axial support to reduce the flexing of the frame. This, as noted, is done exquisitely by the Lefever Doll's Head.

The entire axial load on the 21 is carried by the hinge pin it Alone, thus I stand by my statement it has No superior design element. This is normally sufficient, but a little added "insurance" is often appropriate.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra