I will add a note or two here. First & Foremost "ANY" mechanical object having more moving parts than a Hula Hoop is always a compromise to some degree. There are "NO" perfect mechanisms. Simplicity with a mall number of parts is good to a point but this can be carried to an extreme. In My (Not so Humble) opinion I will list two features that I consider fall in this category. 1st is the rotary bolt. While I consider the Smith, Fox & NID all serviceable & dependable guns none are my favorites.
2nd is on a gun of my favorite make among the American classics, the Lefever Arms Co. This is the large cooking hook introduced around 1898 I believe. If anyone is interested I am willing to discuss either or both of these further.

As to the Win 21, I have asked on several occasions for one of their "Admirers" to list me just 1/One mechanical feature that set it apart as having a superior design than any other break open double. As yet I have none. The bottom line is it has just two things in its favor. st with it being designed & introduced after WWI it utilized advanced developments of the steel industry & was made of heat treatable alloy steels so is strong. 2nd it carries the name "Winchester".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra