A.H. Foxes were, along with the Win. M21- the two American mfg. Boxlock doubles with fewer parts to wear or get out of alignment, in years of usage. The A.H. Fox, the Ithaca NID and the L.C. Smith guns all have the same basic top extension rib lockup, the top bolt with continue to cycle to ensure a solid closure-

Two tests, besides the snap caps, I usually do on any used vintage gun such as the one you are considering- (1) With the barrels in battery, but the forearm removed, "shake" the gun slightly and check for barrel "rattle"- also mount the gun into your shoulder pocket with the forearm removed, see if you sense any "rattle"- (2) with gun closed and cocked, and with snap caps in the breech, and with the safety in "safe"position- squeeze the forward trigger as hard as you an, then remove your finger from the trigger blade, and then slide the safety forward-then repeat with the rearmost trigger- this checks for worn sears- if the hammer trips when you slide the safety forward, that can be a sign of worn sears or other firing mechanism "maladies"--

I bought two pre-1914 graded 12 bore ejector L.C. Smiths because of the top lever being to the left TDC on the top tang. I replaced the top rotary bolts and the V-spring- Bingo--

I have never worked on a Fox gun- several noted gun writers viewed them as the best designed and made boxlock ever made in America-- all coil springs, few parts, well fitted. I would agree.

There are some collectors who prize the so-called "pin" Sterlingworth Fox guns, as I believe there were few made, compared to the thousands of Fox doubles over their production span of years. If the gun is mechanically sound, but the top lever and the "Fubared" top rib section become"bargaining chips", assuming double triggers and selective ejectors, and no pitting or dents or bulges in either barrel tube, sure- try the seller out at under his asking price, with those factors "on the table"

Where in The Treasure State.?? Last time I fly fished was near Billings, the Yellow Tail Dam area of the Big Horn- in Oct- we also did a "cast and blast" Later I bird hunted in the Chief Nine Pipes Federal lands area-- tons of pheasants. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 12/08/19 07:49 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..