Shooting my one and only 16 gauge SxS muzzle loader (previously discussed), the antique European walnut ramrod slipped out of the gun while it was on the gun cart, got caught between the ground and axle and snapped. I was sick. I took it to Ben Sims out in the Valley, a really outstanding gun restorer who said he could fix it. Left it with him:

I was in a quandary on a ramrod. My barrels are more 13-14 bore having been honed...about .705." A Track-of-the-Wolf 12 bore ramrod would be too big; a 20 bore too small. I remembered what Stan said, dug up a couple of old hickory 1/2" dowel rods I'd been intending to use to fix a chair.....wife threw the chair out. Then found a 5/16" flange nut .625" across the flange in my parts box and an old door knob.... Screwed on the flange nuts, fitted the door knob and Voila a useable ramrod - stout too.

Then thinking about the ergonomics of loading a double barrel shotgun I thought I could shorten the process if I could ram both barrels at once, I concocted this jury-rigged double ramrod and tried it out. It worked, but not easily. I won't make my fortune with it:

I finally discovered Track-of-the-Wolf made a 13 bore ramrod 675" in diameter on the face that would fit the Reilly and ordered it. Quite nice. And Ben got the old one back to me repaired. It will stay in the house. Still Stan's idea of an old door knob is neat and I'll keep the one I made as back-up. (from top to bottom
- Original,
- ToW rod,
- Home-made Stan rod.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/06/19 04:37 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch