So, I'm 95% shotgun shooter. 5% 'Other'.

I've dabbled in rifles, and most recently obtained far too many Garand rifles which I do enjoy. This led me to a 500 yard range with steel (ding!) targets. I'm rather hooked.

While under the influence of pain killers for broken ribs last January, I picked up the phone and ordered a Shiloh. It happens. Opioid epidemic, etc. Credit cards are the work of the devil.

So... what's eventually coming given the near 2 years it takes them to build one, is a plain Jane 45-70.

I've obtained brass, and bullets, and a supply of 5744. I reserve the right to use black in the future.

I've read the Shiloh forum, and Venturino's book.

I don't intend to hunt, and 600 yards is my maximum available range, but the steel range is only 500 and most of my shooting will be there. It's a great place, and a few of my fellow shotgunner types frequent it.

Question is... once I get my 'letter' and have to decide on a final configuration etc, are the barrel sights adequate for 500 yard dingers?

The rifle comes with a combo full buckhorn/elevator barrel sight and a blade front. Do i need a tang sight?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble