Quote:
How will they determine this "Short-barrel rifle" criteria?

Seems to be irrelevant. From what I have read, they will simply stop selling .223 and 5.56 once current stocks have disappeared. Also heard that they will stop selling handgun ammo.

Probably completely irrelevant to many of us in California because of the new state laws regarding ammo purchases. CA now requires a background check to buy ammo. The "instant" check (which merchants charge you $1 for) only works if you have transferred a firearm thru an FFL within the last five years. If not, you have to go thru the slower $19 check, which takes from a few days to forever. But that does not matter because WalMart corporate has decided that they will not even do the $19 check, so you must go elsewhere to buy ammo. Even if you qualify for the instant check, WalMart has decided to require a Real ID driver license, even though the state law does not require the Real ID if one has what is known as a "Legacy License," which is what I currently carry. Walmart would not sell me dove loads because I had a legacy license but did not have with me a current passport or a certified copy of my birth certificate. Two other guys from our group went to CA Walmarts to buy dove loads and none of us could complete the transaction. Among the three of us, we have about 100 years of hunting and shooting experience, no criminal history, CA hunting licenses going back to the 1950s, etc. I was a civilian consultant to the Los Angeles Police Department, worked for defense contractors, carried a Secret security clearance, etc. But I can't buy dove loads at WalMart. What's wrong with this picture? I did buy ammo at a local sporting goods store just to test the system, even though I despise the system. But it works outside of WalMart.

And to make matters worse, state law now makes it a crime to bring in ammo from out of state, even if you are forced to buy it out of state and have some left at the end of your hunting trip. I think I now know a lot of new criminals.