Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
....Craig, can we assume that you know the mechanism by which the Constitution can be amended is a bit more complicated than "a popular vote"? It's not like the anti-gun people could put a measure to repeal the 2nd Amendment on the 2020 ballot, and if it were to pass by a majority, then 2A would be repealed.

I suppose you’re trying to impress on me how difficult it would be to amend the Constitution? Maybe, you could address your thought to King, to put his popular vote claim into perspective?

Craig, are you suggesting that American voters never vote FOR gun control measures? Never elect politicians who support additional gun control? You must not be living in the same country I am. Because very much depending on the state, sometimes gun measures go one way; sometimes they go the other way. So King is correct in stating that Americans do demonstrate--by popular vote--that they're not all of the same mind when it comes to guns.

And before you question my personal credentials on the issue: You probably know about Iowa's first in the nation caucuses. Always attended back when I lived there. What people outside of Iowa don't know is that a caucus is a whole lot more than a primary. It's not just casting your vote for a candidate. The caucus chairman requests suggestions for planks in the state party platform. At my 2008 caucus, I was the guy who suggested that Iowa change what was then a "may issue" concealed carry law (meaning Iowa's 99 county sheriffs got to decide who got approved for CCW and who didn't) to "shall issue". Which meant that the sheriff had to be able to prove why he rejected someone's application for CCW. My suggested party plank passed . . . unanimously. And, I'm proud to say, Iowa is now a "shall issue" state.

And I'm glad you really do understand that amending the Constitution is a difficult process.

Last edited by L. Brown; 08/30/19 11:18 AM.