Thanks, Miller. I respect your opinions and will give that information careful consideration. But, for now, I'm in the camp that small shot behaves very similar to a fluid when passing through a venturi. I cannot explain the phenomenon you described with the full choked vs the cylinder bore, in the pendulum gun, but since the internal velocities cannot be measured (yet), and since the experimenters couldn't explain it either (so far the only explanation for this was ..........) I'm thinking that there could be another explanation as of yet not put forth.

Since there seems to be no absolute proof of either theory, yet ............. it's only our opinions, I guess. I will be pondering the recoil phenom for some time. It's fun to think about. If I can find any supporting work for my statement in the above post, I will surely post it.

The bulges in the thin barrels could be attributed to large size shot, in the absence of the shot sizes being contained in the data, which certainly might not pass through the constriction as freely as smaller shot. This has been noted for many years.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.