I've always wanted a 16ga, either an auto-5 or a SxS.

So I just won this thing. Probably paid a little too much... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/815691297 (edit: there, that's the right link!)

I guess I'll have to ream the shotgun chambers to 70mm, but that's no problem. I don't have the ream itself, but I have everything else I'd need to do that, and I figure I could probably sell the ream to the next guy for 80% and not be out of too much.

As for the rifle, what do you suppose is the cheapest way to load for it? The S&B 8.57JR is out of stock everywhere I've checked, so it looks like I'll be getting some brass and dies and rolling my own.

I figure I can just use 8x57JRS brass, even though it's .323 (or something) instead of .318. To me, that means the cases are basically identical other than the headstamp, unless I am confused.

As for bullets, the .318 offerings are really expensive and not available in much variety. I figured I might get a custom swage die (I think the Lees are fairly inexpensive) and push .32WS bullets through it. Or I could try paper-patching .308 bullets, although I've read that's pretty hard on the rifling.

Another advantage to the swage die is that I could swage non-jacketed .32 ACP bullets (or a 00 buckshot pellet) too, and work up a small game / plinker load, assuming I could get it to shoot anywhere near the point of impact of the full power stuff.

What are yourall's opinions of the gun, and ideas on the above? Did I pay too much? I've never heard of the maker, but it looks well made.....

There are a couple cracks in the wrist, but I think I can fix that (at least insofar as stopping them from spreading, assuming someone hasn't already glued them and pinned them from the other side).

One thing I am really hmm-hawing about is, I'd like to use a red dot sight on it for hunting, so I'll have to have someone tap a couple of blind holes in the rib so I can put a small section of weaver rail on it. Which I hate to do, but I'd rather do it to this one than to my Hollenbeck. Although I do see what appears to be a grub screw of some sort in front of the rear sight, so maybe that can present a mounting option, if I can figure out how to keep it stable with only one screw.

I think I ought to figure out how rare/collectible this gun is before I do that (or ream the shotgun chambers), though. Any ideas?

Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate your advice and opinions.

Last edited by Mr. Polecat; 06/09/19 09:03 PM.