6-6-2019 Garand serial # 816531 enjoyed a sunny afternoon in northern Michigan doing what it was functionally designed to do.

This receiver was made in September of 1942. It could have been in Normandy, it could have been someplace in Italy, it could have been anywhere in the world for that matter. It was for sure contributing like millions of it's kind to the restoration of peace.

It likes factory Remington 150 grain Core Lokt ammunition. I cannot explain that. Other M1's here shoot my 168 Gr. HPBT handloads best of all. This one likes deer loads. I have a 3 shot slow fire 100 yard group into an inch and a half to prove that, and a rapid fire full clip into 3.5" for any doubters. "Ping!"

A little rifle shooting goes a long way with me, but these Garand rifles are special in some difficult to pin down way. I'm happy to have discovered them and the way they represent their period of history. My dad was qualified on one and was only spared having to use it in Japan proper by Little Boy and Fat Man. That's likely the reason I'm here.

Please join me in a toast to the brave fellows who went ashore this day in France 75 years ago, and to all the supporting cast who equipped them with effective arms such as the Garand rifle. For every combat soldier, there were dozens who supported the effort.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble