Originally Posted By: Tamid
"Burned" doesn't mean "melted" ie the surface of a cook pan left on the stove is "burned" and discolored.

In my expert a pot left on a burner will only blacken from the residual food oil or soap left on the pot. If the pot is well cleaned it heats up but doesn’t burn ie blacken

Exactly Tamid, and please all, note that I never said the surface of the barrel was melted. Burned steel is steel which has had some or all of the carbon burned out of it due to extreme overheating. I'm pretty sure I understand the difference between a gun barrel and a scorched pot or frying pan... without consulting any metallurgist. In fact, if all of the carbon gets burned out, it is no longer steel.

Here's part of the METL metallurgical report posted by the Preacher in his post #547574. I put some pertinent parts in BOLD COLORED TYPE, since the Preacher has disingenuously suggested that I purposely misunderstood semantics in order to argue.

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

METL's summary as bold bullet points

[b]• The braze was extensively contaminated, particularly near the suspected initiation site.
The contamination in the braze was ferrous and appeared to be heavily oxidized.

"The braze was examined at high magnifications. The region where contamination was observed was consistent with ferrous, oxidized debris.
The braze material was consistent with a copper-zinc braze filler. Substantial contamination was observed throughout the inner braze surface. Cross-sections from the good and bad braze areas were taken and showed substantial difference in compositions between the braze material and the contaminated regions."

Now here's some semantics to chew on... a definition of "FERROUS", for someone who has no real knowledge, and who needs to pay Professional Metallurgists for these reports, so he can post them and convince guys here that he is some kind of shotgun barrel expert:

FER·ROUS

adjective: ferrous

*(chiefly of metals) containing or consisting of iron.

* Chemistry of iron with a valence of two; of iron(II)

So we see that his precious METL report clearly stated that "The region where contamination was observed was consistent with ferrous, oxidized debris." But now, today, it has magically become "manganese sulfide and metal oxides ie. corrosion and "burned" (over-heated) surface steel and filler metal."

After posting the METL Report, the Preacher made this totally false and erroneous statement:

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Oxidized debris = burned steel

To think that some here are just enthralled with this unadulterated horse-shit!

So this is your Doublegunshop Barrel Expert... the same expert who actually argued for a couple days recently that lengthening the chambers of vintage shotgun barrels could result in GREATER BARREL WALL THICKNESS at the end of the re-cut chambers!

Consider also that ferrous oxide, also known as wustite, is a black iron oxide that forms during barrel blacking when red oxide (hydrated ferric oxide) is converted during the boiling in water between rusting cycles. Makes you wonder whether this contamination was a result of the brazing process, or maybe was deposited during the barrel blacking process??? Or did we just forget that these barrels, with a large void in the braze joint, were coated with rusting solution and rusted and boiled as part of their production?

Several days ago, the Preacher was crying because someone had sent him an email or PM suggesting that he had tampered with the ruptured shotshell from this barrel burst. He was all butt hurt that someone would think he would do such a thing. When he repeatedly gets caught pulling crap like this, is it any wonder?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.