Today (D-Day eve) I went out for the afternoon to an area farm, mainly looking for woodchucks- with all the rain recently, no alfalfa has been cut- and the usual tunnels near feed silos didn't bear fruit- but raccoons- ah yes- Farmer told me he had been hearing their chitter-chatter down by the dirt road that borders the South side of his land-.

I took my favorite squirrel "dinger" Ruger 722 BA with 4x Leupold scope and CCI Mini-Mags- He directed me to a stand of 4 mature shagbark hickory trees- full of bole holes- well leafed, and I got into the shade and waited- over 2 hours, five raccoons decided to peek out of their holes in the trees- 2 fell dead from limbs, the other 3 dropped down the hole when shot "between the running lights"-

I looked over the 2 dead ones that "hit the deck" I put the crosshairs right between their eyes- est'd range 25 feet- both died instantly- ears gone, top of their skulls blow clean off- I use the same gun and loads for fox squirrels in October- head shots only--Whether I am shooting "tree rats", raccoons or woodchucks, I want a clean kill every time- even on vermin, I want a sudden death every time I squeeze off a round- so I stay with this load- time after time-- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 06/06/19 08:12 AM. Reason: shorten

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..