Coosa;
When hunting with dogs like that the sonic crack is not of importance as it is under other conditions. As I stated earlier most of my squirrel hunting was done early in the season which at that point in time here in TN opened Sept 1. The leaves were still on & the squirrels were in the trees cutting mast. In my area, this was primarily hickory nuts, beech & acorns. I have also taken them out of Dogwood trees. My average shot was probably around 50 feet, not yards.

I have both heard & read over the years that hunting with a rifle under these conditions was fruitless & a shotgun was a necessity when the leaves were on. I simply ignored this "Fact" & went right on killing my squirrels with a .22. Our l.limit then was 6 & I often took at least 4 out of a single tree before moving to another & sometimes the limit.

The lack of the sonic crack was of more importance under these conditions than extreme accuracy. That lowly Mossberg firing those CIL 40-grain standard vel 40-grain greased lead solids was capable of hitting the head every shot. I didn't do it 100% of the time, but I had to take the blame when I missed. I could have spent Hundreds of dollars on a premium rifle, premium scope rather than the little Bushnell & premium target ammo, but I doubt I would have killed even a single extra squirrel over the course of the season.

My whole point for this thread was the factor the Sonic Crack played under conditions where a group of squirrels is working a single tree, which is more the norm than the exception in the early season.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra