Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
Originally Posted By: BrentD
Perry would not lack of compression in the forcing cone have to result in higher pressure? Seems like it would. Maybe not enough to matter though.

I had the cones lengthened in my Merkel back in the early 90s. I could not discern any before-after differences but figured it couldn't hurt while the the tubes were being put in.

I see your point Brent. I had just never thought of the pressure aspect when considering the lack of compression of the steel shot which often resulted in a bulge at the muzzle. Do you (or anyone else here) think lengthening the forcing cone would be enough to preclude the muzzle ring bulge? The only thing anyone ever told me when I started using steel, which by the way was not until my first duck hunt in 1993, was to never go with anything tighter than a modified choke with any steel shot, especially the larger diameter ones like 2's and larger.

TSS proves lack of compression plays very little part in the equation.

I suspect the early troubles steel shot had was because of the steel rusting in the hull turning the shot charge into basically a slug.