I can completely understand cattlemens' disdain for coyotes. I have seen what they do to calves. OTOH, as Jon mentioned, what's good for one type of farm (or species) isn't always good for another. Almost all cattlemen here are row crop farmers, too. You can ask any one of them what costs them the most ......... an occasional calf lost to coyotes, or deer. They will emphatically reply ......... those deer!

Fawns are very heavily preyed upon by coyotes here. I know of one instance where a turkey hunter found a den, placed a trail cam on it, and left it all spring. The female brought eight fawns home to her pups that one spring.

I will never argue with another person about whether coyotes should be killed on sight, but I can control what guests on my lands do. They all know now that if they kill a coyote and I know about it, they won't be back.

On top of that, there is now solid evidence that deer eat quail eggs, and even chicks! I try not to hate any creature that God created, but I'll admit to struggling with that when it comes to deer.

Great story and pics, Mark.

May God bless America and those who defend her.