I use an awl with the sharp point removed and slightly rounded. The profile of the point very slender also.
I use this to push the follower/plunger down so I can unscrew the ball ended top lever screw.
The rounded point won't dig the plunger's cupped end up and the slender profile will let you get that point into the cupped tip just as the ball is beginning to be backed out.

Disassemble..I start to back the top lever screw out just a bit,,maybe 1/2 turn or so. Just enough to get the point of the awl onto the cupped end of the follower. Then push the follower and spring down with the awl and hold it there and continue to back the screw out.
Yes the spring is a strong one and make sure the action is secure in a bench vise to do this.
Either vertical or horizontal in a vise,,which ever gives you the better strength to push and hold that spring down.

Putting it back together,,same thing. Start the screw into position through the spindle. Then push the plunger down with the awl and hold it there.
Then crank the screw into place. The screw will push the awl out of the way as it turns into place (another reason for the rounded 'point' on the awl) and the plunger will take it's place under the ball end of the screw.
A touch of grease in the cupped end of the plunger helps the transition.

Eye protection always..