Patton did some pretty extensive training early in WWII in the area where I live, operating out of Camp Forrest, Tullahoma TN. Rumer has it he was "Killed" three times during those training maneuvers, he must have learned well.

Just today I read an article about his engraved, nickel plated & Ivory handled model 1873 Colt SAA .45. Seems he bought it in 1916 at the age 30 when he went on the Punitive Expedition into Mexico as an aide to General John "Black Jack" Pershing as a 2nd Lieutenant. According to this author on May 14, 1916, he used thisColt & was the only time in his entire military career he ever personally fired on an enemy combatant. He and a group of 10 soldiers were on a Foraging & Reconnaissance trip in 3 Dodge touring cars. Patton had learned that one Colonel Julio Cŕrdenas, 2nd in command to Pancho Villa, was want to slip off to his San Miguelito Ranch to visit his Wife. Patton had reason to believe he was there this day so ordered his men to Drive at high speed toward the ranch & deploy. As they did so three Villistas mounted horses & tried to escape out the gate. As they approached Patton fired his Colt & hit the lead rider in the arm knocking him from his horse. He retreated back inside the ranch. A 2nd rider tried to charge by, Patton shot his gorse, putting them both to the ground. The man tried to rise & was shot by Patton as well as several of his men. When the fight was over neither Patton nor any of his men had received a scratch but all three of the Villistas were dead. The first man Patton had shot from his horse proved to be Cŕrdenas himself. Patton put two notches in the left grip of his Colt & was promoted to 1st LT.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra