Travis, a properly fitted barrel set flat shouldn't touch the action flat, except just a wee bit at the front, closer to the hinge pin. Done right, light should show at the rear portion of the barrel flat/action flat relationship. This allows for a "settling in" which definitely will occur, even with the best of barrel fitting.

Striving for as much contact between the barrel breech faces and the standing breech as possible s critical. Few gunsmiths can do this properly. I have done the job, myself, and can say that it is extremely tedious work. It doesn't always work out, and even a good fitter will have too start over sometimes to get it just right. Many claim to be barrel fitters but few can do it really right. I have had some very bad experiences with nationally known and recommended double gunsmiths with barrel fitting. One gun came back with about 35% contact at the breech on one barrel and NONE on the other, daylight showing strongly from top to bottom. And this was from a 'smith whose name has been thrown around on here as being a master 'smith, for many years. Not.

Good luck with it. You can't go too slowly and you can't be too careful. You re very wise to practice this craft on inexpensive guns.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/13/19 11:04 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.