Cold can do some strange things, when it was really cold up in ND my good Estwing hammer would chip off the face of it driving cement nails. How do you drive nails at -30 with mittens(leather choppers) on, you lick your mitten and stick it in the nail bag and the nails stick to it you just turn your hand till one of the nails is facing the right direction, start it and turn your mitten until the next one is facing the right direction

Really cold snow would wear on a snow blower blade like you were blowing sand through it (7' Erskine pull thru blower).

In my tent I had a 30 gallon Olive shipping barrel to keep my water in and it sat near the stove, it would freeze the bottom 6" of the barrel, the top would stay liquid. You could sit in my tent in a T-shirt but have to wear your sorrel liners to keep your feet warm.

Ice on the lakes would crack and the cracks would fill with water, freeze and expand. It would keep this up through the winter and push to ice up on the shore, wrecking any docks left in, on bad years wiping out retaining wall, boat houses even pushing up over the highway in some places. Highway 169 by Garrison, MN is one I remember it getting up on the highway

Last edited by oskar; 02/06/19 05:53 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.