Ted, I hope you won't mind one more diversion from your original post but the corn bread terminology posts have my memory working overtime. I was raised in a very southern home in the very deep south and we spoke with very deep southern accents using old southern dialogues. We kids were always confused about johnny cake, hoe cakes, pone and corn bread. It seems the definition of each varied buy the age of the speaker and the area you were raised in. What you have prepared would have been a hoe cake of pone. If baked, it would have been corn bread. If fried, it would have been a hoe cake and about one half inch thick. Johnny cakes were made with flour or corn meal (in my generation equal amounts of both) and fried just like a pan cake.

My grand mother died in the 1970's at past 100 years old. Her mother told her johnny cakes were so named because they were a staple fed to Confederate soldiers during the war of Northern Aggression.

The Old South is pretty much dead and gone but some of the customs are worthy of resurrection, such as lynching. It should, however, be reserved for and used only in the most severe cases- such as anyone caught putting sugar in corn bread! Just the thought of it makes my blood boil and my soul scream for revenge!