I learn something(s) new almost every day. A friend from boyhood got a used Win M24- 20 gauge, 28" barrels about the same time my father gave me his M12-20 gauge. I still have that shotgun, and he has his M24. But I never knew WRA offered that double in .410 bore- I believe at one time WRA had a break-action single barrel in .410, and of course, the M42 pump, which I think they offered first in about 1933. Often called "the baby M12!

The 2 shell limit your dad followed somehow reminds me of the late Ernest Hemingway, who received a 20 gauge single shot around the age of 12-from his paternal Grandfather- and Hemingway's father, Dr. C.E. Hemingway, only gave him 3 shells per day. You learn at that early age not to waste your ammo.

It might have been the late writer, Charley Waterman, who wrote two phrases regarding shooting afield: (1) A good shot is frugal with his ammo. and (2) Don't bet your folding money against the man who shoots a well-worn pumpgun. I would add, well worn double shotgun to that!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 01/01/19 05:28 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..