My high school library in the 1950s (I graduated 1956) kept both Outdoor Life & Field & Stream mags so I began reading them. I subscribed to both for a few years following. Jack wrote predominately of the .270 in a Win 70 as I recall. Page wrote up the Mashburn 7mm Short Magnum.

In shotguns Jack praised the 21, while Warren liked O/Us, don't recall his preferred brand. Both did an extensive write up on the 21 when Win "Introduced" the 3" 20 gauge Magnum. It was originally loaded with 1 3/6 oz of #4 or 1 1/8 oz of #6. Both sizes were soon stepped up to 1Ľ oz.

I couldn't afford a 21 either, at the time was shooting a pre-WWI J Stevens Arms & Tool Co 12 gauge double, I "Think" a model 325 but not sure now. I consoled myself by the fact it was equally as ugly as a 21 with its flat backed frame with cigar box-shaped bar. It used pushrods through the bar for cocking with surrounding coil mainsprings much like the 21. One could easily say the WW stole the design from Stevens. Once I got hold of a decent looking shotgun I traded it off & to this day have never had a desire to own another or a 21 either.

In all honesty though, in spite of its shortcomings, I will have to say it started me down the road to ruin. I still have little desire for any shotgun which isn't a SxS double.

PS; It was flat sided, didn't have those stupid points on the side that looked like they were chopped on with a Foot Adz.

Last edited by 2-piper; 12/24/18 12:07 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra