Stan, I hunt nearly every day ice permits lakes and ponds, after that open and moving salt water, blinds on fresh and salt water at each end of our property. Many days don't shoot, enjoy the company and watching my Lab pick up for my buddies.

I hunted without a dog with buddies who had dogs or boats when my last Lab died several years ago. At my age, I couldn't train another and see it through. My mostly retired kids said I couldn't live without a dog, and James was pushing the arse off me to get smart and start living.

I lucked into four-year-old MH Lab last year, out of Iowa. My life is back. Independent, free to pick up gun, dog and bag of decoys and out the door. Every hunt takes me back 75 years although I seem to take more notice of the sights and smells; every day is a premium.

But to your point: the kindness, sometimes a tenderness, comes from younger buddies I've hunted with all these years. You may not have reached that point, judging from your photos and company, but if you haven't you've many pleasurable years ahead---dog or not.