To improve case rigidity and looks I decided also to minimise the ripple effect that was very noticeable in the case top, the bottom of the case will start to improve when all the dividers are reinstated and other work is completed. I should say here that If you do remove the gun case internal dividers and other fittings a case can become dimensionally unstable so take care. Back to the case top, because it was made of hardboard the easiest way of flatting is to spray the hardboard board with water that has had a little detergent added to help it wet the surface and soak in. When the hardboard is sufficiently wet (but dont overdo things) I l put the case top down on a flat surface I used house bricks as weights to flatten it, then left it to dry slowly do not apply heat, the effect of the water and weights caused a distinct improvement to the case tops flatness with the ripple practically gone.
To arrive at where to start and finalise where you want to end up with the case layout my method is to put the gun inside the empty case and shuffle barrels action and for end about, though in the majority of refits it is usually put everything back in approximately the same place after a repair or new Baize, in this case it was just shoe horn the gun in the case the best way possible. Just to aid this important sizing up exercise you will see two divider pieces one with Baize the other without. The reason for this is the case was initially of simple design were the lid just closed on top of the bottom section leaving a small gap all round on three sides. Not good for gun storage by allowing free passage of air into and out of the case. So I intend to extend all four case sides internally into the case top, by adding extra wood to the four sides, this will also improve the case rigidity also creating a lip for the lid to close over hence not allowing the guns weight to pull the long side having the handle out of alignment so improving the case's overall stability. And keeping the Maritime damp air out.

Use a piece of string across the case passing over the highest part of the guns action this is the easiest way to determine how much usable height you have in the case, I usually cut a length of card to this exact height to use as a go no go gauge. I put on gloves because this move things about in the case took place over several days it became a chore recleaning and oiling the gun all the time.

This picture if from later in the project it shows clearly how much the case can flex and my reason for putting extra wood on the case inside.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!