Ive been following this forum for several years, but this thread motivated me to join.

Over twenty years ago I was fortunate to receive a Mauser 98 in .270 Win. with a French walnut, skip-line checkered stock by Tom Shelhamer from the estate of a relative.

Apart from a descriptive note accompanying the rifle, back then, before the internet era, there wasnt much additional information available, so at the time, I had no idea who Tom Shelhamer was. With more time on my hands in the last couple of years for research, I sure do now!

From the detailed description received with the rifle, mine has the following features:
- .270 Winchester on an Oberdorft Mauser 98 (1933) action
- Chrome-lined Sukalle Barrel
- Frosted bolt and follower
- Drilled and tapped for receiver sights
- Weaver K6 scope with lens cover on Beuhler mount
- Fine French walnut stock with Monte Carlo comb and cheekpiece, contrasting Rosewood trim and deluxe skip-line checkering; by Thomas Shelhamer

and from examination:
- Extensive fiddleback figuring
- Color-case hardened Neidner butt plate, checkered bolt stop and magazine floor plate thumb index
- 24 barrel
- It is identified with T. SHELHAMER and a number, stamped under the butt plate.

I learned that Mr. Shelhamer rarely used skip-line checkering on his stocks estimates run from a total of half a dozen to a dozen. The subject of the original post, eddie14s, is only the second one Ive seen on-line; the first was this one:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/947100324/Shelhamer-and-Kilpatrick-Custom-Mauser.htm

If I can impose on PhysDoc to post photos of this rifle, Ill forward them to him.

John