Argo44, as I recall and this was about 40yrs ago, it was an eastern king snake that was blackish with white bands.. I do believe coral snakes could be found in that part of VA as well but never saw one.. 1st encounter with the many copperheads was in our sandbox which was covered with a piece of plywood when not in use to keep the rain out. Bad idea for any parents reading this! Perfect place for a snake to try to make a home...

Im totally on board with preserving black snakes around the farm and home,, but I would guess most dont know a black snake from and indigo snake or a black racer,, all of which I caught as a boy and a few other species.. there was no animal or insect I wouldnt catch and bring home except a spider.. still kind of scared of them.

Im a rock hound too fellas,, have some very special finds sitting on my windowsill right now including a bit of petrified wood. Nearly bring one home from each place I want to remember.. Fun thread and again, apologies for the hijack.. but heck, here is nearly an entire page with no one slinging insults or political slants... jmc

Last edited by jmc; 10/04/18 03:30 PM.