I opened a pawnshop about eight years ago. I had a federal firearms license as part of that shop. I just recently closed it and am now out of business.

Opening the shop involved renting a storefront, buying used fixtures, paying $50 to the city for a business license and hanging an "open" sign on the door. Really not much too it.

The firearms license (if I recall correctly) cost $200 for three years. You submit an application along with a set of fingerprints for each "responsible person." You wait for your background check to clear and then the ATF schedules an appointment to come out and talk to you. During a pre-license interview that lasts about an hour they go over the rules and provide instruction on filing out the 4473 form and keeping a acquisition and disposition record. You receive your license a couple of weeks after the interview.

There are no storage requirements imposed by the ATF. I suppose some states or municipalities might specify some minimum storage but my state and town does not. As the ATF told me "You could store all your guns in an open field as far as we're concerned, so long as you keep your records correctly." (or something like that)

Basically, it's up to individual FFLs to know the rules/laws and follow them. The ATF comes around from time to time to check on you. The law says they can inspect you every year but they don't have the manpower to do that.

In my case, the ATF stopped by about three years later and did a compliance inspection. The inspection took about a day (an afternoon and a morning). I had one more inspection about a year later.

There's a fair amount of paperwork involved in being an FFL but none of it is all that complicated or burdensome. You just have to keep good records and treat your 4473 forms like precious gems.

I am currently in the process of surrendering my license since I've ceased business. I've contacted the ATF and they've sent me a form. I've printed out my gun log and have eight years of 4473 forms boxed up. They're supposed to be shipped to the Out-of-Business Records Center but I don't want to pay the freight so next week I will drive them to the ATF office in Kansas City (about two hours away by car).

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 09/27/18 07:56 AM.