If patterns had equal distribution the the range of various loads would be in proportion to the Sq Root of the loads. Thus if you double the shot load you do not get twice the range but about a 41% increase. This would mean that a 1 oz load would do at about 42 yards what oz would do at 30 yards.

In practice however, generally speaking the .410 will put that oz of shot in a pattern having more core thickening than the 1 oz from a larger bore so the range is extended to some extent but requires a more accurate hold.

Each person needs to truly evaluate their own personal abilities as to whether it is the gun for them. I admire the ability of one who has reached a plateau where they can truly use the small bores to their full usefulness.
I also admire those who realize their limitations & do everything within their power to ensure as clean kills as possible, even if it means carrying a 12 gauge with more open choke.

I Personally have not reached that plateau to where I "Need" a handicap, so I do not hunt with a .410.

Although I have not seen him shoot I do perceive that Stan has reached that plateau as have some others here. Everyone though needs to evaluate their own personal abilities & if you have not reached this level use more gun & don't apologize for it. Perhaps with time & practice you will reach that level, but some of us never will but that doesn't mean we should not enjoy what works well for us..

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra