As someone previously said, I tend to read and not post unless I'm comfortable with the subject. In this case i must emphasize that I'm speaking strictly from first-hand experience.
Like RGD, I own several pre-'13 Elsies and all get use in the field and range and in the 20 years I've been collecting them have never had a failure due to the so-called deficiencies in design. In fact I've only had two that required a QUALIFIED 'smiths attention--- a 3E single trigger gun that someone monkeyed with the trigger, and a Pigeon E that the top rib became loose that Gunter Pfrommer has recently properly relaid. My personal preferences for pre-'13 Smiths is twofold--- better quality of wood and nicer engraving. In selecting a gun for potential purchase I pay particular attention to any hint of cracks behind the locks and darkening of the wood at the head of the stock--a sign of oil soaking from improper storage. After all the years I've been collecting pre-'13 Smiths none of my guns show any sign of potential cracks,because of better wood, better storage, and a subtle difference in frame design between pre and post '13 guns.
One must remember that the youngest of my "litter" is 106 years old, and all have served me well, even though they were probably used with improper length and high pressure shells by previous owners--- a testament to the quality of the gun. I have owned several of the other guns mentioned in this thread, and all have their deficiencies but I won't stray from the original subject-- just offering my personal experience.

Last edited by Laxcoach; 08/07/18 10:27 AM.