I'm not really qualified to comment on the Wisconsin thread. WNV exists in Ontario but real evidence of its effect on wild grouse populations is lacking. I did however enjoy the anecdotal reports from some of the posters there. So here's mine.
I hunt upland in south/central Ontario and have done so since a kid. In terms of northness, we are similar latitude to Minneapolis. I have had a woodlot for 20 years which is mostly former pasture and is as good as it gets for grouse and woodcock habitat. I hunt it but quite lightly -never more than a few birds a year. I have other options and this was more my ace in the hole.
My report on 2017 is we started spring with lots of grouse. It was looking to be a great year. By fall however when there should have been 5x as many, the population was largely unchanged. At least in this small locale the clutch survival seems to have been nonexistent. I would say there are as many blue jays or more than ever. Ravens and crows I think are stable. What did happen last year was rain. Lots and lots of rain. 20 days straight at one point. And bugs! The worst season of biting bugs I have ever experienced. Not trying to assign a causal relationship to anything here, just making an observation.
So I did not shoot any birds last year as the numbers made me feel they needed a break. In fact never took a shotgun out and instead hunted deer only.
Spring 2018 proved that a handful of birds made it through the winter. I have the feeling that barring some catastrophe they should have good success as my theory is all are older experienced birds. Spending this coming weekend there so will do another informal census on this years broods.
As regards woodcock, the decline continues in my area. I can always find woodcock but numbers are fewer each year it seems.
Would be interested in hearing what other bird hunters are experiencing.
JB