PhysDoc was kind enough to post this set of pictures for me of an interesting rifle done by Tom Shelhamer. It is a small ring Mauser in 7X57 Mauser (He previously posted another set showing a Shelhamer 22 LR under "Pictures for Herschel" in the Custom rifle thread). This one has a 22" barrel done in a featherweight type contour and weighs under 7 1/2 pounds as scoped with a Leupold 6X compact. I put this on due to the better optics over the old Weaver that came with the gun but still have it set aside.

Like the model 69 previously shown, it has the standard Shelhamer characteristics such as his name stamped under the case colored buttplate, horn gripcap, brass forend tie-down and a "brushed" treatment to the bolt body however, it has a couple of features rarely seen on his rifles. The first is skip line checkering which I understand he did on a few (less than a dozen?) and the second is case colored cross bolts which I've only seen on a some of his big bore rifles.

The metalwork is engraved "Niedner Arms... No 310...etc". For years I wondered how such an early Dowagiac gun could have a Shelhamer stock as I thought he wasn't present there this early. This was especially odd as the number stamped under the buttplate was much later. But fate finally stepped in! Thru diligence (actually just good luck) I spoke with a fellow several years ago who knew the rifle's history and straightened me out on this point. The original owner had Niedner make this rifle and several subsequent ones that were stocked by Shelhamer so years later after Niedner had closed and Shelhamer was independent, he sent it to him to be stocked once again, mystery solved!

The rifle features extensive engraving by Arnold Griebel that not only includes the floor plate and trigger-guard but chamber slug area, barrel banded swivel base area, bolt handle and muzzle tip area. I am very fond of scroll around a game animal which this one has (assuming the animal looks like it should) and find the Whitetail Buck to very appropriate for the 7mm.

I've always thought that my version of Col. George's "three little rifles" would be his 69 in 22, this 7X57 and a 375 H&H on a Magnum Mauser all done by Shelhamer but we probably all have a different take on what our trio might be. Hope you enjoy...

Ed