The rifle kindly pictured above by PhysDoc has a very interesting story to tell. It was one of a set of three that John George commissioned to Tom Shelhamer. The other two were a 300 H&H and a 375 H&H. He planned to use the trio as his global hunting rifle battery. They are written up in the Oct. 1954 American Rifleman in an article titled "Three little rifles". In the case of the 22, a Winchester 69 was chosen due to the smaller receiver diameter and vertically thinner height thru the action that resulted in a small quick handling gun. He expands on this in the article but suffice to say, this choice makes for a wonderful little lightweight rifle!

It was purchased from Emil Mc Connell at the Ohio collectors show in the latest 70's. Emil had previously purchased it from Col. George who was quite a colorful gentleman himself. Colonel George was a sniper in World War ll and who went on to be part of the OSS which became the CIA. He wrote a book about his war experiences "Shots Fired in Anger" and talks about these rifles. It was later housed in a canvas and leather case that had been fitted to it by Holland and Holland while Col. George was assigned in London.

It has a Lyman Alaskan fitted in custom mounts and has such typical Shelhamer markings such as his stamp with number under the case colored Niedner butt-plate, his standard horn gripcap, brass forend tie-down and that marvelous rust blue he did.

I feel truly blessed to honored by the pleasure of it's ownership but know this can't last forever so I only hope the next one inline will value it as I have. I might add that I do shoot it once in a while... but carefully, and it's as accurate as the Col. mentions in the article.

If anyone recognizes one or both of the other two rifles shown with it from the magazine article I would appreciate hearing from you with any possible information. I have been trying unsuccessfully for years to "re-connect" the three together. Thanks so looking, Ed