Originally Posted By: 2-piper
My understanding of this is that "Nitro" proof was optional in Germany prior to 1912. Also I understand there was a very good reason many pre 1912 guns were not Nitro Proofed.

German proof law at that point was not based on "Pressure" per se but on a percentage of Overload. Thus if a black powder proof called for a double charge of powder then Smokeless did the same. A double charge of Schultz or Balistite created a far greater increase of pressure than did Black, gunmakers knew this & were reluctant to have their guns nitro Proofed.

Those who did submit their guns for Nitro Proof often specified a very light service load to try to circumvent the Law as written. New rules of proof were written for the 1912 act & Nitro Proof became obligatory.

I have a circa 1900 J P SAuer & Son / V L & D Knock-About sidelock. This is approximately a 7½ lp gun with the extractor marked 70 for 2 3/4" shells. It carries full Black Powder proofs but No Nitro. It is currently missing its forearm so get's no use. I suspect over the years it has been fed a many regular "US" 2 3/4" shell. Even though it has NO built in wear compensation it is still tight on face & bolts solidly. It is double underbolted with an unbolted Doll's Head. Top lever always has & will continue to Stop at center.

I would have no qualms whatsoever of feeding it up to 3¼-1¼ loads & while I have no way of proving it I highly suspect it has devoured a good many
3 3/4-1¼ loads in the past.

Thanks Miller. So you have a positive outlook on the early Sauers? Anyone else have any opinions on the turn of the century guns made by Sauer?