Gene,
Absolutely no offense was taken, we just came up on a subject I know enough about to be dangerous, and I hoped to politely correct some points that were historically inaccurate.

I am "into" this end of the bicycling spectrum. Two more photos, if I may? My "Museum" bike:

A heart stoppingly beautiful and unused version of the Raleigh Sprite, original down to the Sprite twin stripe tires and threaded Bates inner tube stems, and probably some original AIR in the tubes. 1967 also.
I ride it at the ABCE event, and have declined all offers to part with it.
It came from a thrift store I happened into one day, waiting for my wife to finish an appointment. I wish I knew how it ended up there.

The "conundrum" bike:

Also a 1967, also in beautiful condition, this is a 5 speed hub version of the Robin Hood, a loss leader version of the higher end Raleigh bikes. How someone managed to get a Robin Hood delivered with the S5 hub as original equipment (it has Sprite 5 decals and correct date codes throughout) is something none of the club members, some of them English bicycle dealers from that era, can explain.
I call it my Wife's, and she will ride it, on a sunny afternoon on a dedicated bike path. But, she is not truly a rider, and is content in her role as provider of SAG support in the F150, while my Son and I ride.
If anyone is further interested in the old English three speed bikes from (most of) our childhoods, the Sheldon Brown website is full of history, and everything you need to know on keeping them running. The English built cool bikes and guns.
My newest bike is a 1972. I am stuck in time, in an upright riding position, using obsolete bicycles, and, I'm really OK with that. Sorry for the diversion, and, I'm pretty sure I'm done now.

Best,
Ted