I have a Mauser I have always found intriguing. It is built from a Kar 98a (a small ring) with the original barrel having been rebored to 9.3x57. It has a trim sporter stock with checkered grip, front sling swivel attached to the barrel, ramp front sight with from-the-front silver bead insert, and a two leaf rear sight. All the metal work has a high polish and has been blued. The markings have been removed from the action with the exception of what little remains of the top of an original proof type crown on the right side of the receiver along with a wartime eagle N. The 7.9 is still on the collar of the barrel. Under the barrel is neatly stamped Franz Schmidt, 9.3x57, wartime eagle N and eagle J, 743, and what I'm guessing is the mark of the proof house, an inverted "heart" with a "Christmas" tree inside it. If 743 is the reproof date it has seemed odd to me that someone would go to the trouble of having a sporter built in 9.3x57 unless maybe they planned to do a little moose hunting in Scandinavia. Any id on the proof house, data on Herr Schmidt and thoughts on the build in general? By the way, the trigger is exceptional and accuracy is outstanding with everything from 232 grain bullets, 250 grain bullets, 270 grain bullets and 286 grain ones wanting to shoot to the same place.