The Gun was listed as 28 gauge. Its bore seems to bear this out. Its chamber, however, is over large for a 28 gauge and at its head the chamber cast mics out around .660 every time. Now you must understand the evolution of these guns. The started out as Swedish military M67 rolling block muskets in approx. 50 caliber with tapered 37" barrels. When they entered civilian service, gunsmiths did all kinds of things to them, from building beautiful sporters with new wood and barrels on the actions, to cutting them down and boring them out to shotguns. They were not always very exacting in their rechambering. This example has original musket barrel cut down to 28". Plenty of meat to first bore to 28 gauge and then for my smith to rifle. I have no idea what the base dimensions of a late 19th century 28 gauge case would be. I do not have any modern brass or plastic cases to measure. I was hoping for some input on that here on both. But with a modern 24 gauge brass case being .658 and the chamber at breech measuring .660, I would imagine a lot of slop for a 28 gauge. I mess around with lots of rolling blocks from Sweden in lots of oddball chamberings. So this one has me a bit stumped as to best course of action. I just need someone to polish a few 1000ths of an inch out of the chamber. Gun has "0" collector value and I did not pay much for it as a project.

Last edited by Rudybollo; 02/19/18 01:08 PM.