Originally Posted By: Argo44
They searched you leaving Vietnam..confiscated anything like empty grenades, double edged blades (Montagnards spear heads for instance). Almost no trophies other than uniforms, helmets etc. made it back...at least for enlisted men and that included Special Forces. They tried to confiscate my Randall knife...the one I carried 40 years later in Afghanistan.

You just had to know who to talk to. I spent so many years in Nha Trang a common joke was that after the war, if I didn't run for Mayor, I was going to open a cab co. 15 SOS/Heavy Hook. Used to spell the C&C Liaison (hauling personnel from the flight line to SFOB)and got to know a few of them pretty well. While I never had anything to do with it I knew of more than a few weapons riding in black C130's to the Philipinse and shipped surface (boat) to the US, then REA to the address. Seemed to work out ok, never heard of any problems. One of the Liaisons sent a silenced 16 with a starlight scope to Montana with no problems. Steered way clear of such stuff because it just seemed to be a good way to extend your tour with an extended TDY to Long Binh.

Can't wait to see Wolf Blitzer report on Tet. Does that lying SOB ever get anything right about Viet Nam?