Republicans left California a long ago. NY as well. Complete Democratic control for years. You may have pockets of republicans but not very many anymore. So trying to blame California's state on them, is unfair. Is it fair to be mad when one state refuses to enforce immigration laws but turns around and demands money to help pay for all the expenses illegal immigrants cost? 2/3 of your prison population is Hispanic. Your immigrants cost far more than they produce. Get your immigration problem under control. You can't invite them all in to live with you and expect everyone else to pay for it.

So if you are blaming Republicans in the rest of the country for not sending more money to California to fix a problem they created for themselves you are a nut. If you thought Republicans only would like cheap labor you need to update your thinking. Gone are the days of 100% union members being and supporting the Democratic Party. A few still do like teachers and government employees but most of the working trades are much more conservative. They might be registered as Democratic but when that current closes they don't vote that way.

As to tax reform my savings are trivial. The big money is in hedge funds, stocks and investments. Mine is mostly in land which has taken me 49 years to acquire and improve and kids educations. If I were in the 1% I'd be getting fitted by H&H for a couple matched pairs not working full time at my age.