Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper

Larry, I wouldn't equate your endless gun trading to the acquisition and use of the soft goods advertised (and decried here) in the magazine. Or the destination pieces either for that matter. 99% of the people moved to purchase are decades younger than you. Most people that buy a moderately expensive shotgun are one and done.

It's just a stage of life. You don't need more stuff, but the magazine needs to sell stuff.
My only axe to grind is the vitriol old men seem always at the ready to spew at their replacements.

I've come to enjoy actually visiting the destinations advertised there. I don't decry them.

The "soft goods" apart, SSM carries bunches of gun ads, from both makers and high end dealers. And the group with which I associate . . . far from "one and done" when they buy a moderately expensive shotgun. But most of them aren't quite as prolific in their trading as I am. That I'll certainly admit. But no matter one's age, it's not about "need". It's about "want", and the desire and ability to spend the $. The younger set may have the desire while lacking the disposable funds. The older set . . . the desire seems to linger way beyond the need. I think that's why a lot of widows end up with impressive collections of guns to dispose of. More thoughtful owners might have started the disposal phase before they assumed room temperature.