Being a gunsmith; school trained and operating a shop for 35+ years, I have always enjoyed Steves articles. His skill level is way beyond my capabilities as a generalist. Always enough technical detail to go with the other info on a particular gun to keep me interested every time. Steve is a great writer and I was sorry to see him gone from SSM.
As a side note on SSM; about 17 years ago, when I returned from a deployment to Bosnia, I wanted to write an article on the fantastic quail hunting there. I was lucky enough to be able to sneak away and hunt quail with the head of the sportsmens federation on the Federation side. We shot about 50 quail in an hour and a half. I watched the sportsmens federation president shoot 5 quail in the air with his Browning A5 and didnt miss one. 5 birds with 5 shots and that included far lefts and far rights from the flush. Anyway. I submitted something to SSM and they declined telling me no readers would be interested in an article like that. I understand that I was a complete neophyte writer but to say no one would be interested in a quail hunting article is amazing.
I no longer subscribe to the DGJ and my sub to SSM is teetering on the edge of cancellation.
Several reasons.
Foremost because I have diminished interest in the whole show. I lost my buddy and bird hunting partner and collecting foil ( he loved Parkers, I am a Fox guy) that I bird hunted with for about 35 years together. Not having a close friend that shares the level of interest in Partridge hunting and double guns has left me with no like minded person to bullshit with, hunt with, share misses and phenomenally lucky shots with etc. The fun is just about gone. Although I try to make it work, it isnt the same. Some of you who have had the buddy you hunted with a long time know what I mean.
Add the content being published now; fashion articles and modeling by editorial staff ( you wouldnt catch me dead doing that shit!!!) and some of the most metrosexual and alternative lifestyle type layouts for clothes that 99% of the hunters in this world wouldnt be caught in the their casket wearing them has gotten too much for me. I have never encountered the dandies depicted in the adds, especially from a couple of the establishments located in the south.
Add the dress up role players who go whole hog for the Edwardian look; complete with their womenfolk who still dress up and dream of being princesses and its just become over the top. I find it ironic that these types wax poetically for an era that no one would want to re-visit if you are looking at life expectancy, medical care, medical advancements, quality of life in general , life expectancy etc.. everyone pining for the good old days.
I understand that at the onset of the vintage gun revival it bred interest. But nowadays its no longer an attractant to the double gun world. Dont get me wrong, they can play dress up and role play as weekend Edwardians all they want, just doesnt interest me .

Again, my opinions and why I have diminished interest in the whole thing. I wish it was different. Hate to sound like a wet blanket but I call it as I see it. These two pubs have become no different than Guns and Ammo or the other gun rags that I refer to as comic books. They peddle wares of their advertisers and I get that. You have to make money. But the saturation point has been exceeded.

Dont get me wrong, I am not going to sell off my collection of Foxes, pre 64 Model 70s and English BPE double rifles just yet. But I have realigned my perspectives and have entered a sort of double gun malaise for the time being. Maybe there is a cure out there. If anyone knows one, PM me!!!

PS I still have my 2yr old Field Bred English Springer Mollie, who brings me untold joy so I am not completely gone!

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member