It has taken a while but a lot of folks have noticed my absence from Shooting Sportsman and are asking about it. My last story was in the Jan/Feb. 2017 issue.

Although I greatly enjoyed researching, writing and photographing the Fine Gunmaking column the management decided making more money was their first priority. When they forced into retirement the very capable Art Director I had been working with for 20 years it signaled a clue to their intentions.

When they demanded I sign a very lopsided contract and threatened to lower my pay, I left. Clearly the trend in current corporate America of raising the CEOs personal income at the expense of the folks that provide the creativity and do the work is not acceptable to this self-employed freelancer's notion of fairness.

I continue to write the Custom Shop column for Sports Afield about custom hunting rifles. And I am open to another double gun venue or online outlet to write for. I have more time for my custom gun projects which pleases my clients and my in-shop Seminar program has really taken off. I’ll be offering three sections of Fine Gunmaking classes this summer.

The Fine Gunmaking column is no more, a decision I obviously thought was very foolish as it was the most popular in the magazine. A friend suggested the magazine subtitle might be changed to, “The magazine of wingshooting and gay apparel”. Another told me it looks like a highbrow Cabalas catalog. The advertising vs. editorial has now exceeded 50%.

I’d suggest dropping a note to editor Ralph Start letting him know your thoughts. I doubt if you will see your letter published in the magazine, though.

Steven Dodd Hughes