Ok, now let's play 'types of dealers'. Turnabout is fair play.

1. The volume discount dealer. We had one in my state that did a LOT of business until the founder died and his kids took it over. No service, occasional rudeness (perhaps because of people expecting service, see 'types of buyers' above), but great selection and the best prices for far and wide. You need to do your homework, know what you want before your visit, and expect to trade service (and even civility) for the best price, sometimes by a wide margin. I got to know these folks simply because I did a lot of business with them and we developed a rapport. They knew I always spent money, sometimes quite a bit.

2. The 'full service' dealer but with no value added. Large sporting good stores with inexperienced people running the vast gun counter with retail prices. You know who I mean.

3. Local 'gun museum'. Home of the glass counter with a large rack of inaccessible 'display' guns that never change. Small inventory of common stuff, usually from the Shot Show. Vast rack of clunkers, usually classic American repeaters but all with weird modifications that devalue them to 1/3 of the tagged price.

4. Pawn shops. A very mixed bag. Usually a clip fed bolt shotgun, a Model 12 with no finish left, and a 'Topper' complete the selection. However, we have a shop locally here that has an active gun counter and they are willing to do just about anything you might ask as far as ordering stuff and even discount the products to a reasonable price. They understand they can't stock the shelves like the big store in the next town, but they still want to compete. Good operation in general, if you don't mind the rows and rows of obsolete electronic garbage.

5. Jaqua's. In a class by themselves. Mentioned by name because they simply do it right.

6. Jaqua's wannabes. Here we lump the rest of the 'good guys'. Actual gun stores with both new and used inventory, that cater to shooters. They likely have an internet presence.

7. Gun club with pro shop. Usually the home of full retail. They have their audience, it just isn't me.

8. Shooting buddy with FFL. A vanishing breed. I did business with a couple of them, to our mutual benefit. Very handy for internet transfers, but generally leveraged out by the wholesalers. Time was when average Joe could simply call OSHI and get a reasonable price to pass on.

9. Internet picture show guys. Sometimes very high condition and uncommon high grade guns. A specialty niche. They fill a need if you can bring yourself to shell out serious dough based just on pictures and reputation.

Certainly I've missed some 'dealer types'.

Feel free to add to the list.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble