Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
You will be disappointed with spreader loads. They're fine for released quail and maybe woodcock, but in my experience with both RST and Polywad, the spreader loads fall apart at about 20 or 25 yards and are useless. Sometimes you just gotta open some choke...Geo
By the way welcome to our dysfunctional little family here!

I have a different perspective about spreaders. IMO, spreaders for hunting are for close range use only, 20 yards or less. I've never seen the patterns fall apart at those distances, and have used and patterned at least four different brands plus some I rolled myself. They have served me perfectly out to even 25 yards when shot out of a full choke. I qualified for the L C Smith team, in the Smith/Parker challenge a few years ago at Backwoods, shooting my 16 ga. w/ F and F chokes, and Polywad SpredRs on every bird, even the longish ones. My score was 22/25 as I recall.

The poster said his gun is shooting modified patterns now, with regular RST loads. A spreader in one barrel and a regular load throwing 60 % patterns in the other is a very useful gun. Everything is covered.

Just one man's perspective and experience.

SRH

This has been my experience with spreaders as well. I use Polywad English 1 oz. of #6 in the right tube of my double and am quite pleased with the results over the last two seasons. For Sporting Clays I use RST 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/2 in both barrels of the same gun (a 12 ga. 30" barrels choked Mod. and Full) with very pleasing results. I like the results of these two brands of spreaders and can recommend them with the fullest of confidence.