I have shipped too many guns over the years that I have sold but more often to have a repair or restoration performed. I have used priority mail in nearly all cases with the exception of shipping some very high value ones. I have NEVER had an issue with USPS. If the guns are valued at a lot more than $5,000 I use USPS Registered mail. You can ship via Registered Mail for less than Priority Mail and although it takes longer by a few days; it is as secure a means of shipping as exists. It will take longer but it is guaranteed to get there. My neighbor retired as a postmaster and related how he used to receive BAGS of gold bullion via Registered Mail! However, it is slower because it must go into a locked locker or bin and be signed for throughout its trip. The packaging requirements are not bad once you learn what they are. I wish I had discovered Registered Mail earlier in my gun ownership life. I would have saved a bundle!
I have also found that using USPS is by far the most economical when shipping a handgun. As long as you first go through an FFL and ship to an FFL it meets all postal regulation requirements. I then have used a medium size Priority Mail Flat Rate Shipping box for about $15. Even adding in the outgoing FFL dealer's fees it is far less than UPS. UPS requires Overnight Express for handguns which is REAL PRICEY!

Last edited by WRE1; 11/04/17 07:34 PM.

W. R. Eddleman