Originally Posted By: arrieta2
I think Charlton Hall leans more toward antiques, jewerly and antiques.

John Boyd

John; My observation on the one time I went down to the auction there in 2007 and in later catalogs I have received, is that they are an excellent house for antiques and art and are widely admired. However, their knowledge and inventory of firearms is underwhelming. They appear to covet the large trade in the firearms auctions business, but have not the knowledge and staff to accomplish the task. If they would spend time, commitment, capital and hire expertise and stay with the business for a while they could likely build a good following in the gun trade. Atlanta or Charlotte would likely be a better venue for such an endeavor. But they are where they are. Having said that, I believe they are fine people to do business with in their field of expertise and have a large following. I do not understand how there is room for another top quality auction house to take a significant amount of business away from the other 2-3 auction houses that have most of the American gun trade. But there is a large blanks in this world that I do not understand. There is one thing I do understand and that is the gun show business for people in the trade like you and for collectors is a thing of the past and has been taken over by the "biltong" and the "camo" sellers.