Originally Posted By: BrentD
It is interesting, but sort of depressing to see how complicated this has been purported to be.

I shoot high-end, custom, long-range, target rifles (ie., guns where any corrosion would be criminal!). I also shoot bp in damasacus English doubles for hunting, and I would NEVER do some of the things that are reported here..

If you want to clean in the field (not necessary even for several hours in a "humid" AZ), then do it completely. With any breech loader it is super simple and fast.

Use straight, dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen hydroxide, or plain water. Your choice. Nothing else. On patches, pushed through the barrel on a brush or jag. A half dozen will suffice for each barrel at most. Then dry, then oil. DONE.

Keep the soap, the hydrogen peroxide, the mystery oils, the soluble oils, etc, etc at home for use on your pets, or tractors or tonsils, but not on your guns.

This is not hard, not super critical, not something that takes tons of gear or preparation. H20. It works. Every single time.

That is your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it. But, that does not make it gospel. I have been shooting and competing with very accurate BP rifles since 1983. Three of my rifles have won state championships in offhand and bench rest categories, numerous times. Some of the solutions you mention as things you would never use are, in fact, some I suggested. My rifles are as accurate after all these years as they have ever been. I have a .45 cal. round ball competition rifle that will shoot 5 shot 5/8" 100 yd. groups, and I can prove it. You do not maintain that level of accuracy in a BP rifle by doing a poor job of cleaning it. You may shoot ultra accurate long range rifles of some genre, and black powder shotguns, but that does not mean you know all there is to know about BP rifle cleaning.

If this is all it takes to get you depressed, you are much to be pitied. Use your plain water all you want, nobody said it won't clean BP fouling out of a gun. But, don't be bad-mouthing others who have many years experience maintaining accurate BP rifles.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.